Did you know that…
- Your hair can give out tons of information about you. It’ll show if you are taking illegal drugs and whatever else is in your bloodstream like medicines, alcohol, vitamins and minerals. No wonder it’s used as forensic evidence.
- When hair is wet, it stretches out to an additional 30% of its length!
- In the Victorian, era, a dead loved one’s hair was used to make brooches, pendants and watch fobs. It was their strange way of remembering their dearly departed.
- Goosebumps, which can be due to the cold or to fear, are actually the result of hair follicles contracting. This makes the hair and the skin around it rise up, causing bumps.
- Hair can actually be used as a natural sponge. It was used exactly for this purpose during the 2007 Cosco Busan oil spill in the San Francisco bay, when hair mats absorbed the oil from the water
- Each strand of hair can support up to 100 grams in weight. Multiply that with the number of strands we have on our head (around 100K-150K). That means an entire head of hair could support the weight of 2 tons which is approximately the weight of two elephants.
- Someone purchased a lock of Elvis Presley’s hair at an auction for $15,000.
Now that you know how versatile and awesome the hair on your head is, I really hope that you take even better care of it than you already are. Our hair is a wonderful part of our body and it deserves all the TLC it can get.